It’s the citrus fruit season in South Africa and citrus packhouses are abuzz packing citrus fruits, which they mainly export. South Africa is the second-largest exporter of citrus fruits in the world, second only to Spain.
Based on production volumes, citrus fruits are the most produced fruits in South Africa. Most fruit growers are situated in the Western Cape, Eastern Cape, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, and KwaZulu Natal. The citrus fruit season in South Africa starts as early as March with lemon and continues to end of September when the last oranges are harvested.
Now let’s take a look at 5 interesting facts about Lemons:
- Lemons are native to Asia.
- Lemons are thought to be a hybrid between a sour orange and a citron.
- Lemons are highly nutritious and very rich in vitamin C.
- Lemon tree leaves can be used to make tea. Lemon fruit zest can be used for baking or to even add flavour on beverages.
- The high acidity of lemons makes them a good cleaning aid.