It is important for all food handlers to at least understand the very basic requirements for food safety and good personal hygiene practices to avoid and prevent the cross-contamination of food by harmful bacteria and substances. The basics of food safety and personal hygiene requirements are covered in this 4-hour course.
This course is ideal for new employees, and also serves well as a yearly refresher course for all employees.
Our cost-effective food safety courses are presented by industry experts. It is fun, engaging and interactive with practical examples and activities. Delegates write an assessment at the end of the course and will receive a handout and certificate of attendance.
We are based in Port Elizabeth and service most provinces in South Africa.
Basic Food Safety course
- Regulation 638 – Introduction to the regulations governing general hygiene requirements for food premises, the Transport of Food and Related Matters.
- Food Safety – Introduction to Food Safety in general.
- Hazards – Different types of food safety hazards, examples, how they occur and how to prevent it.
- Temperatures – The importance of temperature control and the temperatures associated with different types of food.
- Display and storage – How to correctly display and store food.
- Pest control – A brief overview of the different types of pests you find in a food handling environment.
- Waste control – A brief overview of how to control waste effectively in a food handling environment.
- Cleaning and sanitising – A brief overview of cleaning and sanitising of surfaces, utensils and equipment, as well as proper chemical storage.
- Protective clothing – A brief overview of the different types of protective clothing and their purpose.
- Personal health, grooming and hygiene – Proper hygiene (including handwashing) and grooming practices, reporting of illnesses and injuries.
- Staff facilities – Requirements for staff facilities like staff toilets, locker rooms and staff kitchens.
- Offences – Consequences for not complying with the required Regulations.
Who Should Attend?
- New employees – This serves as a short induction course for food handlers with no food safety experience (see our recommendations below).
- All employees should attend this course yearly as a basic food safety refresher course.
In general, we recommend that new employees with no food safety experience rather attend our basic 2-day Food Safety & HACCP Principles based on Regulation R638 course, but this 4-hour awareness course is more budget-friendly and does add some basic food safety awareness value to any food handling enterprise.
Keep in mind it not as comprehensive as the 2-day course and someone who wants to attend any of our other courses still needs to attend the 2-day course as a prerequisite.
This course serves better as a yearly refresher course for all food handlers.
In addition to this course, we also recommend our complementary basic 4-hour Occupational Health and Safety Awareness in a Food Handling Environment course.
You can find a list of training events for this course in our Training Calendar.
Please send us an email by completing the contact form if you are interested in this course or need more information.