The health and safety of all employees are protected by the Occupational Health and Safety Act in South Africa. The main purpose of the Act is to protect employees from health and safety hazards in the workplace. It is the legal responsibility of all employers to safeguard their employees’ health and safety in the workplace. It is also the responsibility of all employees to follow the correct procedures and policies at all times.
The purpose of this 4-hour basic course is to create awareness regarding workplace health and safety and why it is important. Various basic requirements and procedures will be discussed (see “Course Outline” below).
Our cost-effective food safety courses are presented by industry experts. It is fun, engaging and interactive with practical examples and activities. Delegates write an assessment at the end of the course and will receive a handout and certificate of attendance.
We are based in Port Elizabeth and service most provinces in South Africa.
Basic Food Safety course
- Introduction to workplace safety.
- Introduction to workplace safety policies.
- Violations and infringements.
- Introduction the personal health.
- How to identify workplace health and safety hazards.
- Procedures for reporting incidents, injuries, illness and occupational diseases.
- Injury on duty (IOD) procedures.
- Why horseplay is not allowed.
- The use of alcohol and drugs.
- An understanding of first aid requirements.
- Emergency response procedure.
- The role housekeeping plays in health and safety.
- Personal protective clothing.
- Understanding signage in the workplace.
- The employee’s responsibilities.
- Acts or Omissions by employees or mandataries.
Who Should Attend?
- New employees – This serves as a short induction course for food handlers with no basic occupational, health and safety experience in a food handling environment.
- All employees should attend this course yearly as a basic occupational, health and safety refresher course.
This course can also serve as a yearly refresher course for all food handlers.
In addition to this course, we strongly recommend also attending our basic 4-hour Food Safety and Hygiene Awareness course or the basic 2-day Food Safety Practices and HACCP Principles based on Regulation R638 course.
You can find a list of training events for this course in our Training Calendar.
Please send us an email by completing the contact form if you are interested in this course or need more information.