Our Introduction to Food Microbiology for non-microbiologists course allows the learner to gain an understanding of basic food microbiology with the focus on food safety.
It is important to understand the basics of food-borne pathogens (germs) and their impact on food safety. This course will also give the learner the necessary skills to interpret laboratory reports and make informed decisions based on these results.
Training Calendar Search Tip
Type this course’s code (FS09) in the Training Calendar search box to find all relevant upcoming training dates.
Qualified facilitators, with qualifications in microbiology and a background in food microbiology and chemistry laboratories, present our cost-effective food safety courses. It is fun, engaging and interactive with practical examples and activities. Delegates write an assessment at the end of the course and will receive a handout and certificate of attendance.
We are based in Port Elizabeth and service the following provinces in South Africa:
- Eastern Cape
- Western Cape
- KwaZulu-Natal (KZN)
Intermediate Food Safety course
Presentation Methods and Course Duration Options
- Classroom training – 1 day
- Virtual training (real-time via Skype, Zoom or Google Meet) – 1 day
A basic understanding of HACCP is required before attending this course. We recommend first attending our Introduction to HACCP course.
Who Should Attend?
- Business owners or any person in charge of food premises
- QA managers
- QC managers
- Production managers
- HACCP team
- Laboratory personnel
- Environmental health practitioners
- Classification of micro-organisms, their characteristics and sources.
- Types of foods and food processes where micro-organisms and pathogens are likely to occur.
- Examples of foodborne outbreaks.
- Microbial sampling and testing methods.
- Microbial standards and criteria.
- Interpretation of microbial test results.
After completing this course, we strongly recommend attending our intermediate 1-day HACCP the 12 Stages course.
An excellent complementary course to also consider is our 1-day Food Defence and Food Fraud course.