Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points, also better known as HACCP, plays an integral part in food safety. Every food handling enterprise should have an effective HACCP system in place. No matter how big or small.
A HACCP system ensures the effective management of food safety. The system emphasises food safety hazards and any related matters which could affect the safety of food products. It also implements controls to ensure that the food product will not cause harm to consumers.
HACCP also plays a large role in all globally recognised food safety management systems like BRC and FSSC 22000.
This course will introduce the learner to the basic concepts and structure of an effective HACCP system without going into too much detail. This course is ideal for all employees to create awareness.
Training Calendar Search Tip
Type this course’s code (FS07) in the Training Calendar search box to find all relevant upcoming training dates.
Industry experts present our cost-effective food safety courses. It is fun, engaging and interactive with practical examples and activities. Delegates write an assessment at the end of the course and will receive a handout and certificate of attendance.
We are based in Port Elizabeth and service the following provinces in South Africa:
- Eastern Cape
- Western Cape
- KwaZulu-Natal (KZN)
Intermediate Food Safety course
Presentation Methods and Course Duration Options
- Classroom training – 1 day
- Virtual training (real-time via Skype, Zoom or Google Meet) – 1 day
A good understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) is required before attending this course. We recommend first attending our Good Manufacturing Practices for Food Handling Premises course.
Who Should Attend?
- All food handlers
- Business owners or any person in charge of food premises
- QA managers
- QC managers
- Production managers
- HACCP Team
- A quick overview of the different components of Food Safety.
- A quick overview of the different components of GMP.
- Introduction to HACCP and its purpose.
- Supervision – An overview of the importance, skills required, major components and effective delegation skills of supervisors.
- HACCP the 12 Stages explained (The practical application of HACCP the 12 Stages is covered in our HACCP the 12 Stages course).
Five Preliminary Stages of HACCP:
- HACCP Stage 1 – Form a HACCP team.
- HACCP Stage 2 – Product description.
- HACCP Stage 3 – Intended use.
- HACCP Stage 4 – Draw a flow diagram.
- HACCP Stage 5 – Verify the flow diagram.
Seven Principles of HACCP:
- HACCP Principle 1 – Conduct a hazard analysis
- HACCP Principle 2 – Determine CCPs
- HACCP Principle 3 – Establish Critical Limits
- HACCP Principle 4 – Monitoring CCPs
- HACCP Principle 5 – Corrective Action for CCPs
- HACCP Principle 6 – Establish procedures for verifications
- HACCP Principle 7 – Establish proper documentation and record-keeping
After completing this course, we strongly recommend attending our intermediate 1-day HACCP the 12 Stages course.
An excellent complementary course to also consider is our 1-day Food Defence and Food Fraud course.